Blown sugar rooster


Sorry for the delayed post. Last thursday, when we did the sugar blowing, my piece broke before I could get a picture of it so I had to ask someone in the class to send me one. She kindly sent it last night and now here I am blogging away.

My first sugar piece was inspired by my dad so I figured that this one should be inspired by my mom. Her love of roosters was the first thing that popped into mind, so that is exactly what I made. It took one or two tries to blow the body properly but I managed to do it without the chefs help and he seemed a little bit impressed. He then showed me how to pull the small feathers, which was probably the most difficult part. You start with two pieces of sugar at even temperatures then pull them, fold them, pull out a feather shape, and cut the sides all the while trying to get good silk shine! It was quite tricky and I will really need to practice more before I can do them properly. Then I made the fence, corn (which you can't really see in the picture), beak, legs, and weird red bits, attached it all together with sugar and voila a rooster showpiece! It was challenging but so much fun. ENJOY!

1 comment:

Jenny Gregor said...

That rooster is uber amazing...I can't even begin to understand how it can be made of sugar! You are crazy talented girl!!!