Caramel Apple Macarons and Curry Macarons

YUM!!! All I can say after eating these macarons is YUM! I am constantly coming up with new ideas (especially macaron flavours) so I used my free time this week to make some into realities. The first I made were Caramel Apple Macarons; apple cider shells with caramel filling. I came up with this idea while thinking of fall flavours and I often like to form one dessert into another. Caramel apples were what I thought of and then came the 'How do I make them?'. I thought of different ideas such as a caramel shell with apple butter filling as well as an apple shell with caramel filling, this time I chose the latter. To make the shell flavoured like apple I was going to use sour apple drink crystals but while at The Bulk Barn I noticed the hot apple cider crystals and got those instead (hoping for a more 'natural' apple flavour). The result was great! The macaron shells not only grew feet while baking (for those who don't know, the 'feet' of macaron shells are the little ruffly part at the bottom that form while baking) but also tasted yummy and with a harvest-apple flavour. The caramel was a bit tricky since I wanted it to be firm enough not to run but also soft enough to sandwich between the macarons. I decided to heat it a bit for a good slightly-flowing consistancy which looked promising until I checked them later on and they had slid around a bit. Next time I will do an apple butter buttercream dam so the caramel can't flow out. I also had a slight disaster right before I was going to fill them with the caramel; I dropped the container of shells! I was so scared to open the lid and find all of my work gone to crumbles but I managed to save enough to make about 12 macarons, whew! The recipes for both the shells and caramel are at the bottom of this post.




Since I was on a macaron roll I decided to try another crazy flavour idea (and I also wanted to use up the caramel I had made)
so I tried curry and the main flavour. I am only posting pictures of these because I like them so much I can't yet part with the recipe. I will guarantee that it will be posted in the future. I also want to give a shout out to my friend Susan who has given me numerous tips on how to photograph food (this is why my pictures for this post look good). She also has a great blog with really nice pictures you should check out here: Visions of Sweetness





Caramel Apple Macarons

Shells:

63g ground almonds
75g icing sugar
45g instant hot apple cider drink crystals
50g liquid egg whites at room temperature
2 drops lemon juice
desired gel colour (I used red and brown)

2 bowls
1 whisk (or electric mixer)
1 spatula
2 parchment lined baking sheets (or use silicon mats if you prefer)
12'' decorator bag
round tip (I used Ateco 805)

Step 1: weight out and have ready all ingredients and tools

Step 2: in a food processor blend the ground almonds and icing sugar until very fine, about 30 sec.

Step 3: in a med sized bowl, whip the egg whites and lemon juice until foamy. While continually whipping (I did this by hand but I think an electric mixer would do fine) slowly add in the hot apple cider crystals and food colour (if desired) continue whipping to stiff peaks.

Step 4: add the almond and icing sugar mix to your whipped egg whited and apple cider mix and gently fold together, ensuring all is combined. The consistency is key so be careful not to over mix but also make sure it is runny enough that it will slightly flow once piped.

Step 5: fill the piping bag with the paste and pipe onto the parchment lined trays, approx 36 shells, and leave to dry for 45 min or until a crust has formed on the top.

Step 6: preheat a convection oven to 300f and bake shells for 13 min rotating halfway through. Let cool and then fill.


Caramel

151g sugar
40 g whipping cream warmed
50 g unsalted butter at room temperature
pinch of salt
2 drops lemon juice
2 drops vanilla

whisk
small pot
heat proof spatula

Step 1: weigh out all ingredients and have utensils ready.

Step 2: dry caramelize the sugar to a deep golden brown, remove from heat and slowly add the warm cream, whisking continually.

Step 3: add in the salt, lemon juice, vanilla, and butter and whisk vigorously for 1 min. Cool.


*use your favourite buttercream to make a dam around the inside of each macaron to prevent to caramel from running.

ENJOY!

2 comments:

S*V said...

I was like 'wow these pics are great'. I love the caramel apple idea. And thanks for the shout out =)

Imwaytoobusy said...

I think my mouth hit my desk when I read the title and then saw that photo! These sound amazing! Cute blog!