Gluten-free Snowflakes

This week I decided to dapple into the gluten-free market. One of my favourite christmas cookies are shortbread. YUM! They are not only delicious but have a good shelf life and are quite versatile in shape and decoration. They also are a cookie that does not require gluten formation therefore making it an easy adapter for gluten-free versions. I decided to make some snowflakes out of the dough I made since it is approaching the snowy season and I wanted to do some decorating.

I started out by looking at my regular shortbread recipe and exchanged the wheat flour for a mixture of gluten free flours. Before determining the amount of each gluten-free flour I tasted each (not my favourite part of recipe testing, but it is key), making notes on their individual texture and flavour. I decided on white rice flour as the main replacer with the addition of coconut flour and yellow corn flour. I mixed and rolled the dough in the usual way but discovered that the cookies browned much faster than those made with wheat flour therefore shortening the bake time. The finished result was pleasant but I think it may need a few more tweaks.

Here is the recipe I came up with, feel free to try them out and let me know what you think:

40g icing sugar
30g cornstarch
45g rice flour
30g coconut flour
15g yellow corn flour
100g unsalted butter

Blend all ingredients except butter until mixed. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until a moist dough forms. Roll out on a gluten-free floured surface and cut into favourite shapes. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake in a 290f pre-heated oven for 11 min. Cool and decorate with chocolate or royal icing.

* Stay tuned for the next test batch of these cookies

ENJOY!


No comments: