My 21st Birthday!

I am writing my blog today with a very joy-filled heart. Not only did I have a great birthday weekend but right now I am enjoying a vanilla ice cream cone covered with caramel corn! Why I haven't done this before is unknown, it's great!
Last friday I celebrated my 21st birthday and the common question around that day is, "Who is going to make your birthday cake?". The answer...ME! I love making my own cake and this year was quite an exciting one. Recently my reading time has been filled with a blog about the best pastry in Paris (click here) which I found a few weeks ago. The awesome flavour combinations and unique assemblage of pastries inspired me to make my own. Starting off with the desire to make a mousse cake surrounded with macaron shells, I chose to do a white chocolate-cranberry-lemon mousse with lemon macarons. For the sponge in the mousse cake I decided to try gingerbread flavour and layered it with lemon curd. I also made bubble sugar to decorate the top. The overall creation was stimulating for both the eyes and the palate and I was very excited because the recipes for the mousse and sponge were my own.
To accompany the mousse cake I made a croquembouche of profiteroles filled with chocolate pastry cream and decorated with fondant flowers and a marzipan birthday ribbon, a banana custard tart with rum glaze, and mint cake bites. I had a wonderful time creating the desserts and was so happy the birthday guests liked the final results. ENJOY


White chocolate Cranberry Lemon Mousse cake



Croquembouche


Banana tart


Mint cake bites

No comments: