Busy week

It has been a busy last 2 weeks here in the Hunt household. Bryan and I took a trip to Ohio to visit some family and celebrate the 75th anniversary of Beckett, his Uncle's company. We had a fantastic time reuniting with Cousins, and for me, meeting their spouses for the first time. All I can say is that you can't find a better family if you had hand picked each person! They were all very friendly and welcoming and they made me feel at home right away. We all did quite a bit of feasting during the anniversary celebrations and I think it might have put a jump start on my last trimester weight gain. Bryan and I also took advantage of the lower American prices on some items and came home with a full car of loot. A great trip indeed.

Since we have been home Bryan and my parents have beet working away on our bathroom floor (laying tile), but not before we discovered that the overflow pipe in the tub wasn't sealed quite tight enough! After I had a nice cosy bath Bryan discovered a large pool of water downstairs in our living room and then also in the basement! Thankfully it had only leaked through a previously water damaged area that we hadn't got around to fixing yet. On top of that we had a furnace inspection today which went swell other than our chimney is a house violation and needs to be fixed ASAP. Oh the joys of owning your own home!

The Etsy community (where I have my jewellery shop) is starting to get the Christmas buzz. It is time for sellers to stock up for the holidays and make any important changes before the holiday shoppers descend. I am very excited since this is my first holiday season on Etsy. My goal right now is to add more cute items into my shop and I have been working on quite a few.

Our little baby (or Poppyseed as we like to call him) is growing big and strong! He loves to squirm around and poke me with his arms and feet. I think the strangest thing for me is slowly loosing my belly button. It has slowly been shrinking (or being stretched out) and thankfully I haven't completely lost it yet! Who knew you would miss your belly button if you didn't have one! HAHA




On the recipes front I have a few new ones and today I am going to share the Gluten and Dairy-free chocolate torte. We went to a dinner party and I signed up for bringing dessert. Our fabulous hostess had a gluten and dairy intolerance so I thought it would be important to make something she could enjoy. Of course it needed to be chocolate because it is Bryan's favourite.




I made my cake/crust with cornmeal but it could be made with a gluten-free flour blend or you could make a no-bake date and nut crust too.

Gluten-free Dairy-free Creamy Chocolate Torte
Base:
- 1 1/2 C. cornmeal (fine ground)
- 3/4 C. dates
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 C. water

Creamy filling:
- 3 small ripe avocados
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1/2 C. cocoa powder
- 1 C. dark chocolate, melted
- 1/4 C. chocolate almond milk (any other non-dairy milk will work too)
- 1 C. honey
- 1/4 C maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 350 f. In a food processor combine the cornmeal, dates, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Process until uniform in texture, scrape down sides. Add egg and water and blend until smooth, scraping down sides 1-2 times. Pour into a greased 9"-10"springform pan and bake until set, 25-35 minutes. Let cool

2. Rinse out food processor to use for the filling.

3. In food processor blend together the avocado flesh, banana, and cocoa until smooth. Scrape down sides. Add in honey, maple syrup, and vanilla and blend until smooth. Add in melted chocolate and blend 1 min. Scrape sides and blend 1 min more. Pour on top of cooled base and smooth out with a spatula.

4. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. ENJOY!

Delicious when served with a glass of almond milk or tea.

No comments: